Friday, July 2, 2010

You don't need to be more accurate, you just need to shoot more bullets.

Violence is never the answer. Guns are.

Firstly, I must admit to procrastination. I should have finished spray painting my Nerf guns a while back.
In my defense, it rained a lot recently. I only own one of the three guns I decided to spray paint, so that doesn't help either.
I own a Nerf Vulcan, one of the bad boys that people love to mod for extra firing speed and ammo capacity. I still need to put a few more coats of paint on it and get a strap to hook it over my shoulder with. If I'm really feeling ambitious, I'll paint silver accents onto the gun. Pictures to come~
The gun I'll get the most use out of is the Nerf Scout, which looks like a big 9mm pistol. Not only will I use this for my Terminator Austria costume, but also for Intrigue's Mafia!Romano outfit (Mafimano for short). Then I can also use it for my boyfriend's planned Wesker cosplay. (Boy, am I ever pumped for this. Not only is Wesker my favorite Resident Evil character and one of my all-time favorite video game characters, but this means my boyfriend will finally get to experience the cosplay scene. And I get to go with him as another Resident Evil 5 character, the "plague doctor.")
Long story short, that gun will get a ton of use. I might even repaint it as a Vladof shock repeater pistol for my planned Mordecai cosplay. (Woot woot Borderlands!)
I also plan on buying an off-brand Buzzbee Lever Action Rifle for Terminator Austria. It was in the movie, guys.

Deadlines draw near...

In other news, we have just hit the one month mark before Anime Iowa. You know what this means: finish up those costumes! Start your acne regimens! Make a shopping list with things like "deodorant" and "shampoo"! Do 200 crunches a night for those sexy abs! Drink tons and tons of water, until you pee clear.
No, seriously, this hydration strategy will make you so much more comfortable in the heat of a summer convention. Take it from a girl who was in one of Minnesota's top marching bands for four years of her life: drinking water and eliminating pop from your diet will keep you feeling good during all that running around.
In marching band, we wore full head-to-toe wool uniforms, and were expected to practice in the sun for hours on end. We alternated between rapid marching and returning to an earlier spot to repeat our routine, and standing stock-still with perfect concentration, the sun beating down on us and heat rising from the black asphalt below us. In other words, it was really freaking hot. Drinking water for a convention will have the same effects: fending off the ambient heat and the heat from your costume, and keeping you from getting tired as quickly. It has the added effects of keeping headaches at bay and keeping you pleasant. One of the first signs of dehydration is grumpiness, which just ruins everyone's fun. So pee clear.
I, for one, will drink plenty of water for the rest of the month. However, I'm also an avid pop-drinker, so I'll have to cut that carbonated high-fructose corn syrup out of my diet for at least the last two weeks of the month. That should be plenty of time for my body to cope with the lack of caffeine. Hopefully I don't crack mentally because of the strain.

Who you won't see at AI, or, why anime conventions are like high school

We have a dropout this year at AI. My friend who was going to be France and Ancient Gaul can't come anymore. She's been having some weird mini heart attack things, and the only day she can get her chest checked out is during the weekend of AI. So, while I mourn this loss, I am also glad that she's mature enough to keep her priorities straight. Her health is always more important than an anime convention.

Excuse me while I go make my list of planned cosplays even longer. Le sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment